Saturday, September 17, 2011

Arua Town, Kuluva School of Nursing, and My House


When I signed up for the Peace Corps, I knew without a doubt that it was my life path – a calling, if you will.  Everything in my life aligned perfectly to give me this opportunity.   And when I heard that I was being placed in the West Nile region, I was nervous and concerned – mostly because I was headed into the unknown and the current PCVs have a tendency to exaggerate their stories a bit.  But I knew in my heart I was going there for a reason.

After spending a week in Arua and at my site, I can assure you that it is the PERFECT place for me!!!  I’ve been talking to other trainees around the country and it sounds to me that Arua is one of the nicest, cleanest cities in Uganda.  It’s a lovely small town with paved roads, tall trees, and enough stores to buy everything I need.  The Kuluva School of Nursing is very successful and I can't wait to start working there.  The staff was so welcoming and friendly – I immediately fit in.  And my house has 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, a living room, and a kitchen, with electricity and running water (shower & toilet!).  I feel that I am the happiest Peace Corps volunteer in Uganda.  :)

Here is the breakdown to answer all of your questions:

Arua Town

  • The 8-hour bus ride is a straight shot from Kampala on a paved road the entire way.  (I heard horror stories from other volunteers going to the southwest region and driving along rocky/dirt roads, buses breaking down, and driving on the edge of steep cliffs.  Aaaa!)
  • Arua is a small town with approximately 55,000 residents.
  • The town is very clean and well maintained – we met the mayor and he told us about the “beautification program” he started in an effort to improve the city.  He’s done a fantastic job, and I’m definitely going to volunteer during clean-up week in October!
  • There are several supermarkets (for when I need some chocolate) and also the LARGE outdoor vendor market, where I can practice my bargaining skills in Lugabara.  Ha ha.
  • Last weekend we discovered the best restaurants in town: good Ugandan food, an Ethiopian restaurant, an Indian restaurant, and, of course, a hotel that serves American food (burgers & pizza).


Kuluva School of Comprehensive Nursing

  • Kuluva is a tiny village outside of Arua.  There is not much there – just a few market stands.
  • My site is actually 6 miles from Arua Town and there’s no public transportation.  So I’m going to get a bike asap.  It’s going to be a good workout going to town, but there are also shops all along the main road; so I won’t have to do the full 6 miles there & back every time I need to buy something.
  • The Kuluva School of Nursing was established in 1985 and is a nonprofit institution owned by the Church of Uganda, Madi and West Nile Diocese. 
  • The hospital compound is 80 acres and contains the hospital (which is numerous small buildings/wards), the nursing school (about 10 small buildings) and all of the staff houses.  So my neighbors are the other teachers and my supervisor.
  • My supervisor, Anne, is a kind & generous Ugandan woman, who is always smiling.  I think she is in her late 50’s and is well respected in the community.
  • My counterpart, also named Anne, is from England and has been living in Uganda (with her husband) since 2007.  She is doing missionary work, as a teacher, and will be staying until 2013 – same as me.  I believe she is also in her 50’s and doesn’t speak a word of Lugbara.  *English is the main language in the school and in town.
  • After getting a tour and speaking to both Anne’s, we decided that I would be best suited teaching social psychology (I minored in sociology), management communication (my BA is in communication), computer/technology, and I can also do some lectures in palliative care with my massage therapy background!  And because I have several years experience in government office work, Anne (my supervisor) is excited that I can help with school administration office work.  I think this is my dream job!


My House

  • As I said before, it’s a 2-bedroom, 1-bathroom house.  But remember – these are Uganda standards.  There are no closets; the floors are concrete; the shower is just a showerhead over a drain in the bathroom floor; there is no refrigerator or appliances.  But by Ugandan standards, it’s a nice house and I’m so happy!  (Pictures will be posted after I’m settled in.)
  • I do have electricity and water . . . most of the time.  There is no place in Uganda that has power & water 24/7.  The hospital compound generates it’s own hydroelectric power from the dam nearby.  But during the dry seasons (twice a year), the water at the dam is low and the power fails.  And I will have to carry jugs of water from the borehole to my house.  It’s just the way of life.
  • The internet modem I bought for my computer will work at my house . . . most of the time.  It’s not 100% reliable and Skyping may be difficult.  I will try to find the spot with the best reception.
  • The house is in a wooded area on the top of a hill and the view from my front porch overlooks the Congo.  AMAZING!

 
I feel so fortunate to have great living conditions and a wonderful job.  And as for the West Nile region, I get the best of both worlds – a house in a quiet rural setting and access to town is just a bike ride away.  :)  I love it.


P.S. This is one of my neighbors!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Laura! That sounds awesome! I am so happy for you! I tend to read your blogs when I'm breastfeeding in the middle of the night! Lol So...Braylen reads them with me...he is excited for you too! I plan on putting up some more pics of him on facebook when I get the chance so be looking for them. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Laura, when can I come to visit?!! Everything sounds so amazing and exciting! All of us at CDE are thrilled it's going so well for you. And you're staying healthy too, what a relief to hear that! :)
    Anna and the CDE gang

    ReplyDelete